Sunday, June 10, 2012

Quick, Easy, Healthy, and Cool for Summer


With our air conditioner broken I have been looking for healthy options to combat the 90+ degree heat. So far I have found two recipes that work for me: Green Smoothies and Refrigerator Oatmeal. 



If you look around the net you will find many various different recipes for both green smoothies and refrigerator oatmeal (also called summer oatmeal) the ones here are the most basic version and they are very easy to alter for personal tastes.

Green Smoothie

Ingredients:
¾ cup orange juice
2 & ½ cup leafy green veggie (spinach is the most common)
1 banana, chopped
7 (or a little over a cup) strawberries, chopped

Directions:
Using a blender, blend together green veggie and orange juice until there are no more large chunks. Then add the banana and strawberries and blend until smooth.


After the first step
 
For anyone who is worried about it you do not taste the spinach it, just gives the smoothie a tangy taste. You can alter the type of veggies, so will add flavor and some with not. The best that I have tried are spinach and kale. I did try one using up the red cabbage we had and I wouldn’t suggest it unless you really like the taste of cabbage!! You can also replace the strawberries with different fruits and add more orange juice if you want it to be thinner.

 
Refrigerator Oatmeal

Ingredients:
¼ cup old fashioned oatmeal
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup yogurt
1 teaspoon sweetener
½ cup fruit, chopped

Directions:
Really easy, put all your ingredients into a container and shake to mix. Then just refrigerate overnight.


Before shaking
 
Every part of this can be altered to fit personal taste. When I make mine I use Silk Almond Milk, a packet of Truvia, and Greek yogurt. You can use flavored yogurts, or chocolate milk, or maple syrup for sweetener. The sky is the limit! I have heard that Greek yogurt will make it thicker than regular yogurt and the same applies to the thickness of your milk. I have yet to leave mine in the refrigerator more than two days so I can’t say how long it lasts, but I have heard up to a week depending on what you use for ingredients. 

 
What are your flavor choices?

Linking up with: 
Happy Go LuckyA Little Inspiration

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I like the oatmeal idea! I'm always in a hurry to get out the door in the morning. This would be great!!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so yummy and makes the mornings faster!

      Delete
  2. I have to try this..will let you know what we think..thanks!
    Jonell
    South Alabama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hope you enjoy it/them!

      Delete