Saturday, January 21, 2012

Computer Chair Re-do


            Ever wish your computer chair was more you, without paying more for it? Recovering a chair has to be the easiest furniture remodel to do and depending on the size of your chair not very expensive either! I started out with a chair that originally looked like this:
Not so nice to look at!

And since it was do for an update I thought I would share my recovering process with everyone. For about $5.00 (with a 40% off coupon at Joann) or slightly less than a yard in upholstery fabric and a few heavy duty staples even a thrift store chair can look great! So on to the directions...




Step 1: Take the chair apart. For me this just meant taking out a bunch of screws and popping the back off the plastic pegs, but different chairs may require different methods.






Step 2: Remove the fabric covering and make sure the foam padding is still in decent condition (if not I would suggest replacing it with new foam not batting or stuffing). Since my foam is fine I just covered it with a layer of felt. The felt is a personal choice, but will keep stains already on the foam from showing through and cut down on new stains to the foam.





Step 3: Cut out new fabric. You can use the old fabric as a template or estimate the right size, just make sure that it is enough to fold over the back of your pieces.






 
Step 4: Break out the staple gun! Place the fabric face down on your surface then put the chair, padded side down on top of it. Pull the fabric over the back on one side and put a staple (or two) to hold it in place and then pull the opposite side tight and staple it. Repeat for the other two sides.









Step 5: Continue to pull the fabric tight as you staple it all the way around, overlapping on the back as needed.







 


Step 6: Trim the fabric so that any holes needed are exposed.








Step 7: Put the chair back together and take pictures (picture taking optional)!









Happy updating!





29 comments:

  1. I love this idea and your fabric choice! I've got an old chair that needs new foam and you just saved it :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute. I need to do this to our office chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this idea. I have a fantastic gray and black office and a GREEN office chair. TOTALLY covering it in the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to do this. Thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. You could always treat the fabric with scotchgaurd to prevent even more stains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, I have never used scotchguard on anything. I always wondered if it works??

      Delete
  6. Another way to take this update further is to spray paint the legs. :) I think a nice silver or white would suit your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought about that! Thanks...new incentive to take things apart!

      Delete
    2. I have always recovered our dining room chairs this way but I have never thought about the computer chairs. I often find them at garage sales and pass them up because of the upholstery condition. No more....thanks for the great idea!

      Delete
  7. this is a very good ideea.
    I try to spray the legs with Happy Colors and Krylon.
    For plastic legs, Happy Colors is the best.Krylon spray is very good for metal legs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to try this! I'm not very handy, I'm more crafty, so I'm enlisting hubby's help. I already have fabric that matches my living room curtains and can't wait to give my office chair a new look!!! Thank you! And thank pinterest!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it will come out great! And Pinterest is inspiration heaven!!

      Delete
  9. Great Idea! I hate my office chair! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wont you see the back of the top of the chair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back of my chair has a plastic part that covers it so the fabric is under the plastic part in the back. If your chair doesn't have a plastic part you could always create one to put there or even glue down a stiff piece of fabric or vinyl to cover the space.

      Delete
  11. My chair has fabric on the back of the top part, and I'm not sure if I could recover it or not. I have some fitted sheets that match the curtains in my office that area made out of the flat sheets, and I'd LOVE to recover the chair using them....and spray paint the legs as well. How long did this take you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My chair has fabric on the back of the top part, and I'm not sure if I could recover it or not. I have some fitted sheets that match the curtains in my office that area made out of the flat sheets, and I'd LOVE to recover the chair using them....and spray paint the legs as well. How long did this take you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how you would recover a different style chair, mainly because I do most of my crafting by trial and error. It might be easiest to create a slipcover for the top of your chair and sew/button/Velcro the bottom shut around the part that comes up from the seat.

      I recommend upholstery fabric because it stands up to frequent use better. I have used other fabrics in the past and found that after a month or so the wear in the fabric creates holes.

      It doesn't take that long to accomplish the way I showed above, I would say under an hour maybe even under 1/2 an hour. If you are going to do any sewing or measuring (which I didn't) it might take longer.

      Good luck with how ever you try!

      Delete
  13. My chair has fabric on the back of the top cushion. Any idea how to take the back off of that and cover both pieces? And does it have to be upholstery fabric or could you use say, a new/never used fitted sheet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had no idea this was possible until now! I just did ours last night! I absolutely LOVE it!!! I would love to share a picture with you! Thank you sooo much for sharing this crafty knowledge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it, I am so doing this to my old black chair, Tyvm I will follow your blog, Please check my blog out xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment! I will be checking out your blog, have a great week!

      Delete
  16. This would be a great way to coordinate mis-matched chairs. Off to JoAnns for fabric. Thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  17. You make this look sooooo easy! There is nothing wrong with the cover on my computer chair, I just need to have something more cheerful...and, thanks to your excellent tutorial, I can see " sunny" days ahead! Thanks for the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete